You will need
4 slices of Tiger Bloomer
50g Gruyere cheese
35g Mature Cheddar cheese
35g Red Leicester cheese
For the caramelised onions:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large red onions, sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic
| Serves 2
- First up, make the caramelised red onions. In a large pan, heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the onions & a pinch of salt.
- After 5 minutes, add the garlic & herbs and stir occasionally for another 20 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the sugar & balsamic vinegar, stir and gently cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- For the grilled cheese, take your Tiger Bloomer slices and spread one slice from each sandwich with 1 tbsp. of caramelised red onion mixture.
- Grate the three cheeses into a bowl and mix together.
- Divide the cheese mixture in two and pile on top of the caramelised onion. Top with another slice of Tiger.
- Grease a heavy bottomed pan with a little rapeseed oil and when the oil is hot, place the sandwiches into the pan and press down with a spatula.
- On a medium heat, cook for 3-4 minutes until golden and then flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cut the sandwich in half and enjoy the cheesy goodness!