Our iconic crumpet recipe revealed!
Calling all crumpet lovers and star bakers alike
With Brits using this time at home to become star bakers, we decided to share our family recipe so budding bakers can attempt to recreate these delicious treats themselves. With Google searches for “how to make a crumpet” the highest they have ever been* our expert bakers have decided to give everyone a helping hand.
We make over 700 million crumpets every year and we’ve been making them the same way for over 30 years.
Below are the simple steps to becoming a crumpet connoisseur and the Crumb De La Crumb of lock-down baking…
Ingredients (makes 6 crumpets):
- 150g plain white flour
- 200ml water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried yeast
Stage 1 – How to make the Crumpet Batter…
- Add Flour, Water and Salt to a mixing bowl
- Mix vigorously with a whisk until your arm aches (at least 5 minutes) to create your crumpet batter
- Mix a few ml’s of water into to your dried yeast
- Add sugar, baking powder and yeast mixture to bowl and mix for another 30 seconds until you have a clear batter (and your arm aches even more!)
- Cover mixing bowl and put into a warm place for 15 mins (Top tip – make sure your mixing bowl is bigger than you need as it will expand)
Stage 2 – How to bake your crumpets…
- Place a greased metal biscuit cutter (any shape cutter you have to hand will also do the trick) into the middle of a non-stick frying pan
- Pre-heat your frying pan on a hob on a medium-high heat setting
- Before you start, give your batter a stir to remove any large air bubbles
- Use a ladle to drop approx. 60g batter into the cutter inside the pan
- Wait for approx. 4 mins – carefully lift the ring off the crumpet
- Remove baked Crumpet from pan (if the top looks a bit gooey flip over in the pan for a few seconds)
- Repeat the above to make as many as you can eat!
- Toast and enjoy with butter, or anything else you fancy to top off your dough-licious bake…
Share your hand-crafted creations on social media using #athomewithwarburtons to show off your crumbeliveable masterpieces and really prove your baking credentials…. are YOU ready to rise to the challenge?
13m at risk of Vitamin D deficiency as nine in ten feel ‘as’ or ‘more anxious about health this winter
We have today published a special report that reveals how a fifth of people are not aware of Vitamin D...Read More
Three flagship depots opening as part of £56m investment programme
We are opening three new flagship distribution depots in Banbury, Bognor Regis and WidnesRead More
£56m investment enables us to continue meeting the UK’s changing appetite
We are thrilled to share that we will be investing £56 million in our manufacturing and distribution capabilities...Read More
Mixing up the cake business with the trial of a delicious new range: ELLIE WARBURTONS CAKES
Eight delicious flavours including Espresso Brownie and Lemon with Blackberry Compote.Read More