• 2012
  • Warburtons opens a new bakery in its home town of Bolton. This is the most modern bakery in Europe.

  • 2011

    In this year, the company opened a dedicated gluten-free plant at Newburn, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne. A new wraps and thins plant was introduced to the Bristol bakery and a brand new crumpet plant opened at the Enfield bakery in London.

  • 2009

    A super bakery opens in Bristol, which can produce more than 1.5 million products a week.

    In this year, Her Majesty the Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh also visited the Back o'th Bank bakery.

  • 2005

    Warburtons opened a state of the art bakery in Tuscany Park in Yorkshire, this was the first bakery to have a computerised production line installed.

    Even today, this is one of the most technologically advanced bakeries in the world.

  • 2003

    HRH Duke of Edinburgh opens Warburtons' 11th bakery in Enfield North London.

  • 2001

    It's a busy year for Warburtons. Not only did the business celebrate its 125th anniversary, but Jonathan Warburton stepped up to the role of Chairman and a new bakery opened in Wednesbury in the West Midlands.

  • 1998

    Warburtons opens the doors to two further bakeries in Nottingham and Bellshill, Glasgow.

  • 1991

    The fifth generation of family bakers took to the helm. At this point Brett, Jonathan and Ross took on the challenge of running the best bakery business in the UK.

  • 1989

    Going from strength-to-strength, the business acquires two further bakeries in Wakefield and Newcastle.

  • 1976

    The fourth generation of Warburtons welcomed royalty for their centenary anniversary where they celebrated the growth of the business to the largest bakery in the north of England.

    A brand new bakery also opened in Burnley this year.

  • 1965

    Warburtons introduced a new product called Milk Roll, which even 40 years later is still a firm favourite in British households.

  • 1950

    Derrick Warburton oversees the rapid expansion of the business across the Northwest, whilst maintaining a commitment to Warburtons' high standards.

  • 1950s

    At this time the business saw the fastest expansion of the business to date. This included the modernisation of the Bolton bakery on Hereford Street and acquisition of several northern bakeries. A process that continued through the 1960s and 1970s.

  • 1940

    Even with the challenges brought by the war, Warburtons still delivered more than 1,300 loaves of bread per hour.

    However, in light of petrol rationing, electric delivery vehicles were used to deliver bread to the customers.

  • 1936

    Henry Warburton passed away and his three sons, George, Harry and Billy, took over as the third generation of family bakers.

  • 1930

    Henry Warburton became Mayor of Bolton.

  • 1921

    Warburtons installed their very first semi-automatic wrapping machine to deal with the increased demand.

    It was in this year that Billy and Harry joined the company after serving in the first world war.

  • 1913

    Henry is rapidly expanding the business, by this point the workforce had increased to 24 people and there were now six delivery vehicles.

  • 1897

    Henry buys the Diamond Jubilee bakery on Blackbank Street as well as another shop at 136 Blackburn Road in Bolton. Henry's wife Rachel runs this shop single-handed while bringing up four children!

  • 1890

    The business continues to grow and Thomas Warburton buys his first pony to transport goods to customers.

    Due to the success of the business Thomas asked his nephew Henry to join the growing business.

  • 1876

    It wasn't until six years later when Ellen Warburton decided to bake bread, after a slump in the grocery market. Her first batch of four loaves of bread and six cakes sold out in under an hour, within two weeks of baking the first loaf the shop was renamed to 'Warburtons the Bakers'.

  • 1870

    Thomas Warburton and his wife Ellen set up a small grocery shop in Bolton, with the help of Thomas' brother George.

    The shop on 126 Blackburn Road is still owned by Warburtons and is located near the head office in Bolton.